Thursday, June 20, 2013

Obessed

Of course I have lots of stories for you, but I'll try to refrain from rambling (but I'm not making any promises!) I'll start with some funny stories just so you can get the gist of my Mexican life through the past week!

Firstly, I have had some crazy dreams here the past few nights, from Lizzy having a house party while my dad went to Foodlion, taking the metro to "universidad de Richmond" instead of the usual commute towards the "Universidad" metro stop every morning, and protecting One Direction from crazy fans by hiding them in a refrigerator. (I blame the last one on my siblings, since they took Canaan and I on a "tour"of their refrigerator to learn more words in Spanish). 

From Father's Day adventures, trying raw fish, going to Six Flags, prayer walks in the rain, and dancing with Ian (my four year old cousin) in the car to Madonna, I think that I've learned a lot from the Lord and how He provides (experiences, finances, opportunities, and laughter) in crazy ways!

Yesterday I finished this book called Crazy Love by Frances Chan. I couldn't have imagined a better place and time for me to read such an amazing book. The entire book pushes the reader to be crazy in love with Christ, no matter how weird that may be. He said "Having faith often means doing what others see as crazy. Something is wrong when our lives make sense to unbelievers." Called. Out. Wow... Then he proceeds to say "He calls us to trust him so COMPLETELY that we are unafraid to put ourselves in situations where we will be in trouble if he doesn't come through." Feel free to read that last quote again and again. I had to.

Then, there is this chapter about being obsessed. Yes. Obsessed. "Obsessed people are more concerned with obeying God then doing what is expected...a person who is obsessed with Jesus will 
do things that don't always make sense..." That means that being a Christian means to be crazy in love (or obsessed) with our Maker. What a commitment!

With this crazy love in my heart, I will try my hardest to serve the people in Mexico for the next six weeks. My ministries will hopefully include some form of discipleship with the young people in my church, reading the Bible in English with friends who want to learn English, home visits with my pastor, childrens' ministries, and cross-denominational worship and evangelism. Some of these have already started, but that is just a rough update about what's to come!

Please continue to pray for my heart and emotional strength throughout this time of transition. Please also keep my team and their health in your prayers. Colds and stomach bugs have started circulating, so prayers would be much appreciated. Also, since we are starting our third week in Mexico, culture shock is starting to set in for a lot of us! Pray that we can really set our hearts and minds solely on Christ. He has control and we just have to endure the changes that come with letting go of the things we know.

My prayer is that you become obsessed with God this week by loving more and finding joy and peace in the chaos.

:) Abrazos

1 comment:

  1. Praying for you Amanda! Can't wait to hear more about your experiences in Mexico and i'll have to check out that book you mentioned!

    ReplyDelete