Thursday, October 3, 2013

Manatee

When I was about ten, my grandparents invited my sister and I to accompany them on their Florida vacation. One day,  my grandparents invited my sister and I to swim with manatees in the wild. We were so excited! When the day came, we weren't nervous at all. We hopped in the water, laughed a bit, and started searching through our goggles for these mysterious creatures. We saw one way off in the distance "quickly" approaching. (If you don't know, manatees move extremely slow). Lizzy and I began to panic. We started kicking our legs and stirred up the water on accident. We could no longer see this giant mammal heading towards us in the murky waters. We both panicked and asked the instructor what to do. He calmly said, "just float, relax, and prepare yourself to see something great. It won't hurt you. You are extremely safe." That was the last thing we wanted to hear. RELAX? Are you kidding me? A giant animal is swimming towards us, and he wants us to float? We listened, but definitely hesitated. Needless to say, these giant "water potatoes" were approachable, gentle, and quite friendly. That day is a day I'll always cherish, despite the fear I had in the beginning.

When I felt that God wanted me here in Mexico, I was excited and ready. But as the days came closer, I started doubting. Is He really sure I'm supposed to be here? Am I prepared? What was I supposed to do in one of the biggest cities in the world? I asked Him, and He said to "relax and wait to see something great." My response was just about the same with the manatees...

Today we had a team meeting full of worship and bible study. During our worship time, the image of that giant manatee came into my mind. Seriously-I haven't thought about that in years! But all the sudden, all my worries an anticipation about ministries starting this week disappeared! I've been so preoccupied about teaching my own class at Maná and starting to work at Recobro, that I haven't gotten too excited yet. But, as I picture this sweet, giant creature gliding through the water coming towards me, I couldn't help but compare it to my ministries. The murky waters are really blurring my vision for what I'm supposed to 'do,' but my ultimate Instructor is telling me to float, relax, and to prepare myself to see something great.

I don't know exactly what this "something great" is going to be quite yet, but I'm excited to see how God is already working here. I'm pumped to be hands-on in His mission in the D.F. 

I just wanted to share that image with you. Whenever you see a giant opportunity coming your way and the water churns up, float, relax, and wait on something great. Don't get discouraged or give up! "He is with you always, even to the end of the age." Matthew 28:20

No comments:

Post a Comment